[Sugar-devel] sugaronastick.com (was Re: Beta Test of Sugar on a Stick Backup Service.)

Tomeu Vizoso tomeu at sugarlabs.org
Fri Sep 18 04:17:31 EDT 2009

On Fri, Sep 18, 2009 at 00:10, Bill Bogstad <bogstad at pobox.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 17, 2009 at 12:36 PM, Tomeu Vizoso <tomeu at sugarlabs.org> wrote:
>> Sorry about top posting, but I agree with most of what you said below,
>> and I'm not yet particularly worried about the content of the site
>> itself for now.
>>
>> I really think that your initiative has big future and understand that
>> it's still in an early stage. I also think that something like that
>> could help SLs greatly.
>>
>> But what I was referring to is that there's a community of people
>> working on a project called "sugar on a stick" and one individual has
>> launched a site with that same name talking about a derivative of it.
>
> I was a bit surprised by the usage of "sugaronastick.com" as well.  On
> the other hand, since we can't seem to define what the SoaS
> (sugaronastick?) project is or isn't, where is the problem?
>
> Let's say (for example), that somebody had ported Sugar to Linspire
> and made a bootable USB stick from it.  Would that be "sugar on a
> stick"?  If so why shouldn't they use the domain sugaronastick.com if
> they registered it before anyone else?
>
> On what moral (not to mention legal) basis, would you argue that what
> they had done was wrong?  Caroline did something related to Sugar, how
> is this not a good thing?   Let the confusion begin!
> Err maybe confusion IS the problem?  Maybe some concrete explicit
> limits to things which
> are documented somewhere other then rambling reoccurring mailing list
> threads could be useful.
>
> Yellow and Red are both fine colors for our soccer teams uniforms.
> But it gets real confusing
> for spectators if everyone on the team picks their favorite and so
> does everyone on the opposing team as well.  It may not even matter
> which color (definition of SoaS) we pick, but it does
> matter if people pick different ones.

The only problem I see is that the same name is used to denominate a
community project and a private initiative. These are two different
things but not different enough to avoid confusion.

I'm not talking right now about name ownership, that's why I listed as
a possible solution that the community project drops the "sugar on a
stick" name and chooses something else. Each possible solution has its
own upsides and downsides but I'm not there yet, I'm only exposing the
problem for now. Do we agree we are now in a confusing situation that
unless we solve it will have bad consequences for all?

Regards,

Tomeu

Farning