[Sugar-devel] sugaronastick.com (was Re: Beta Test of Sugar on a Stick Backup Service.)

Tomeu Vizoso tomeu at sugarlabs.org
Thu Sep 17 12:36:07 EDT 2009

Sorry about top posting, but I agree with most of what you said below,
and I'm not yet particularly worried about the content of the site
itself for now.

I really think that your initiative has big future and understand that
it's still in an early stage. I also think that something like that
could help SLs greatly.

But what I was referring to is that there's a community of people
working on a project called "sugar on a stick" and one individual has
launched a site with that same name talking about a derivative of it.

Whatever is done with the name "sugar on a stick" will be attributed
to the project with that name, and I don't think it's fair to that
community that one individual unilaterally starts a different
initiative with the same name.

I'm not talking about trademarks here, just voicing a concern that
about how the name of the project is being used without involving the
community. "sugar on a stick" has been used to name what a community
of people had been doing, but now it also refers to a private
initiative, isn't this confusing?

I think that, going forward, one of these would be good to happen:

- http://sugaronastick.com/ points to a community controlled site (a
section of the SLs wiki?)

- the community agrees with you using http://sugaronastick.com/ for a
specific purpose or even for whatever you want

- "sugar on a stick" becomes the name for your personal initiative and
the community project gets a new name.

These are the only ways I see to avoid confusion, but may be others,
please suggest.

Regards,

Tomeu

Farning