[Sugar-devel] SLOBs Position on SoaS

Jonas Smedegaard dr at jones.dk
Wed Sep 16 11:03:17 EDT 2009

Hi Jim,

On Wed, Sep 16, 2009 at 09:31:19AM -0500, Jim Simmons wrote:
>I have a similar question.  What I want to know is, when I am finally
>able to upgrade my XO from .82 to something better, will I use SoaS to
>do it?  Or will I be able to do upgrades over the network as I have
>done in the past?

I believe the answer depends on your definition of "something better".

".82" most probably means a release of the distribution created and
still maintained by the OLPC project, targeted specifically for the XO
laptops.

The "better" thing might be the official successor to that release, done
by same organisation.

The "better" thing might be to abandon that distribution and switch to
some alternative.  The "better" alternative might be SoaS, it might be
Debian, it might be Ubuntu, it might be...

Did you already decide that SoaS is your preferred successor, and all
you ask is _when_ SoaS will be stable enough for you (perhaps you then
need to clarify what parts you depend on and what you can let go of)?

Or do you ask the SoaS developers if their system is "better" than those
of their competitors (a somewhat rhetorical question, I believe)?

Or did you ask _all_ distributors of Sugar which is considered the
"better" alternative to the dated ".82" provided by OLPC?

Regards,

  - Jonas