[Sugar-devel] Soas on legacy PC's

Art Hunkins abhunkin at uncg.edu
Tue Sep 15 21:15:07 EDT 2009

I've done considerable testing of SoaS Strawberry on legacy PC's: 1 Pentium II laptop, and 3 Pentium III desktops.

First of all, Caroline was correct about CD and floppy boot assists; I was wrong. It takes *at most* a minute more to boot from a floppy. Occasionally, the floppy is even a bit faster. (I set timeout = 0 on my floppy assists.)

All these systems have non-bootable USB ports, but do boot from either CD or floppy.

My Pentium II (IBM ThinkPad, 233MHz) is a complete disaster either way. Anywhere from 8-9+ minutes to boot up. Won't make it through an Activity. More than 2 minutes to instigate an Activity from its icon. Bottom line: don't even consider Pentium II's.

The Pentium III's included one running at 500MHz and two at 1GHz. The former limped along, barely useable (an IBM Aptiva). Boot times for the Aptiva = 4.5 to 5.5 minutes. Kids would get highly frustrated by the pokey Activity runs.

Of the 1GHz machines (a Dell Inspiron and an HP), the Dell did somewhat better. Boot times = 3-4 minutes for the Dell, 4-5+ for the HP. Activity running was adequate, if a bit sluggish.

I certainly understand Caroline's limiting her donations to Pentium IV's. They run SoaS satisfactorily - similar to the native XO. (Native XO is noticeably faster than SoaS on the XO.) I do think, however, "higher end" (i.e., 1GHz) Pentium III's would work "OK" with SoaS where necessary.

One disappointment: two of the three Pentium III's did not have their on-board audio recognized by SoaS: they were silent (though their sound works fine in Windows). Only the Dell played - well, and without sonic stutter. This potential lack of audio would seem a real problem for SoaS. It's certainly a major issue for my music Activity.

Art Hunkins