[Sugar-devel] [IAEP] [SoaS] The Future of Sugar on a Stick

Philippe Clérié philippe at gcal.net
Tue Sep 15 11:04:59 EDT 2009

> So you probably disagreed with my statement that SoaS is not about
> installing user files to a hard drive.  Or do you mean having the Base
> OS on the drive, but the user files/activities directory on a stick?

My use case does not require the user's environment to be portable. At least
for now. However, if this experiment goes well and we can build on it,
perhaps we'll do things differently. So, I was not disagreeing; just
reflecting on the local conditions.

> Given the wide range of school schedules world wide, I'm not sure if
> it is reasonable to try to synchronize release schedules with any
> particular schedule.  I'm willing to be educated if there is in fact

Again, I'm just stating a preference based on my situation. Even if it would
be the best thing for me, I realize that it's not necessarily the best thing
for everyone else.

> It also seems like there is a desire among core Sugar developers to do
> releases more often then this as well as a desire to synchronize with
> Fedora's six month schedule.   On the other hand, It seems like what

As a developer I try to keep my computers up to date with the latest
software. (The last year was painful because I was stubborn about KDE4. 4.3
is the charmed one!). As a tech support though, I much prefer stability over
change and bug fixes over new features. Whatever release schedule is decided
upon by SugarLabs, my own schedule is already clear: I change during the
summer and I stick to that version for the entire school year. At least.

Schools are no different from businesses in that way, and just like
businesses would prefer something with long term support rather than
something that changes every six months. It may very well be that I can
adjust to any change but that people around me do not want to. It's been
known to happen. Sooner or later, you're going to get that kind of demand.

--

Philippe

------
The trouble with common sense is that it is so uncommon.
<Anonymous>