[Sugar-devel] Trac maintenance

Benjamin Berg benjamin at sipsolutions.net
Tue Sep 15 09:17:51 EDT 2009

On Tue, 2009-09-15 at 01:39 -0400, Bernie Innocenti wrote:
> == Performance ==
>
> In an attempt to solve the longstanding performance issue with our trac
> instance, I've rebuilt and installed the latest versions of all the
> plugins we were using.
>
> It didn't help much:
>
>   bernie at solarsail:~$ time wget http://bugs.sugarlabs.org/ticket/17 2>/dev/null
>   real	0m12.149s
>   user	0m0.004s
>   sys	0m0.008s
>   bernie at solarsail:~$ time wget http://bugs.sugarlabs.org/ticket/17 2>/dev/null
>   real	0m4.107s
>   user	0m0.008s
>   sys	0m0.008s
>   bernie at solarsail:~$ time wget http://bugs.sugarlabs.org/ticket/17 2>/dev/null
>   real	0m6.097s
>   user	0m0.012s
>   sys	0m0.004s
>
> :-(
>
> It seems that 4sec is the lowest time it takes to display an ordinary
> ticket.  The slowest responses are most probably caused by concurrent
> requests of spammers, search engines and regular users.  Solarsail has
> 32 processors, but our Trac setup with mod_wsgi is single threaded.

Multiple threads would probably not help much by itself, as python has
the global interpreter lock. However, mod_wsgi has a processes parameter
for WSGIDaemonProcess, which you could increase.

Another thing that may help if you do not do this already is to serve
the CSS and other files statically. This can be done by running
"trac-admin deploy trac_install static/files/dir" and Aliasing
the /chrome URL to the created htdocs directory.

Not sure what you have already tried and done, but maybe this points
help a bit.

Benjamin