[Sugar-devel] [IAEP] Sugar on a Stick v2 Release Naming

Sebastian Dziallas sebastian at when.com
Mon Sep 14 15:22:16 EDT 2009

Sean DALY wrote:
> Sebastian, what's your take? Can we "retire" SoaS-{1,2,3} or fold them
> into the public v1, v2 numbers?

Okay, let me shed some light in here, though I think this has already
been discussed in length.

In the early days when I started working on SoaS, we still had internal
builds based on Fedora 10 - which were labeled SoaS-1 - but never got
actually released. As we proceeded in development, SoaS was rebased on
Fedora 11 and since we needed new directories, we just increased this
number. This is what became Strawberry (meaning Sugar on a Stick v1) in
the end. And it's the explanation for this probably strange situation.

It might not be the best solution and we should probably think of ways
to fix it (for example on a newly created SoaS mailing list, heh). But I
don't think it's something incredibly wrong that will scare all our
users away. Most of them will probably not even see the .iso label.

Regarding the docs, I agree: the wiki pages are cluttered. They need to
be cleaned up before the release (we've a documentation deadline in our
roadmap, though)! But this also goes hand in hand with what should be on
those pages - and that's something for the "future of SoaS"-thread.

--Sebastian