[Sugar-devel] The Future of Sugar on a Stick

Bill Bogstad bogstad at pobox.com
Mon Sep 14 13:41:30 EDT 2009

On Mon, Sep 14, 2009 at 11:32 AM, Sebastian Dziallas <sebastian at when.com> wrote:
+1 to pretty much your whole message.

I would like a little clarification though on the boundaries of SoaS.
My interpretation is as follows:

SoaS takes the XO 1-1 model and replaces the one machine per student
with one stick per student.

CD, hard drive, and floppy boot helpers are part of SoaS to the extent
that they make SoaS sticks usable on a wider class of machines.

Installing a user's files to a hard drive is not (probably should not
be) a SoaS goal (the user's environment is no longer portable to other
machines).

Storing the SoaS OS files on a hard drive for performance/stability
reasons might be a SoaS goal.

The fact that the SoaS ISO allows one to demo Sugar is an accident of
implementation.   The real goal is bootable
SoaS sticks.  I think a demo ISO is a great thing, but that doesn't
have to be something that SoaS produces. From my perspective, a
bootable CD that gave you a simple menu to generate a SoaS stick would
be much preferred to the
current download the ISO image and then do these complicated things with it.

Support for multiple users on a single stick is not a goal of SoaS
(breaks 1-1 assumption).

I realize that many of the above assertions are not what some (most?)
deployments want to hear.   I'm not sure I like
them either.  I just want some clarity.

Looking forward to a SoaS mailing list,
Bill Bogstad