[Sugar-devel] Bill Bogstad's floppy disk boot (Soas)

Art Hunkins abhunkin at uncg.edu
Sun Sep 13 14:46:54 EDT 2009

Caroline,

The solution you are looking for was suggested by Bill a week or so ago to my same question. It (timeout 0) works flawlessly.

I quote (me, then Bill):
> I've one suggestion for Bill: for use by children, I'd make everything as
> automatic as possible. Either delete the display where the user needs to
> make a choice (it's *way* technical and *I* didn't know what to do), or put
> a (10"?) auto-timer on it so that it goes on through (the usual way) without
> user intervention.

It's easy to put a timeout in or even eliminate the delay entirely.
Because a floppy is easily writable (unlike a CD) you
can even do it yourself.  There is a text file called
kexec-loader.conf on the floppy.  You should be able to edit it with
any
text editor and change the line "timeout off" to have a number
instead.   It can be either 0 (boot immediately) or wait the specified
number of seconds.  If you look at the rest of the file you can get
some idea of what is going on.

I've tested CD helper vs. floppy helper on Pentium III generation computer. On these, floppies take *way* longer than CD's: 5 minutes (minimum) to 1 (actually, more like 10:2). Even though boot times are significant, the actual *Activity* executions are satisfactory (though hardly "peppy"). Overall performance is similar to the XO-1.

Art Hunkins