[Sugar-devel] Hello, was Re: Hack to get a USB/SD to autologin to only "Sugar-desktop on a stick". from a F12-alpha live CD

Douglas McClendon dmc.sugar at filteredperception.org
Thu Sep 10 08:39:38 EDT 2009

Martin Dengler wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 10, 2009 at 04:24:55AM -0600, Douglas McClendon wrote:
>> And there may also be better long term ways around it than what I
>> would do.
>
> The F11-on-XO guys over at fedora-olpc-list at redhat.com are having a
> serious go at changing the partition layout for XO-1.5 deployment
> images.  We are creating F11/F12 filesytems/layouts for removable
> (USB/SD/etc.) and fixed media (XO-1 internal NAND, XO-1.5 internal SD
> card).  We'd like to support copying the removeable
> filesystems/layouts to a) another removable device ("cloning a
> stick"); and b) another less-than-removable device (intenal NAND/SD
> card, hard drive).
>
> It'd be really great to get your expertise now to make the layout as
> robust as possible, and soon when the F11-on-XO guys write up the
> details of their new layout.

I don't think I really have anything to add.  I don't have the personal
experience running natively installed OSs on flash, either with rootfs as ext2,
ext4, or btrfs.  My personal use case is being content with existing LiveUSBs,
and assuming that interesting natural progressions will happen with unionfs and
btrfs as they mature.  I'm confident that whatever they have currently tested
and found best is probably better than any less informed suggestion I could make.

-dmc