[Sugar-devel] Hello, was Re: Hack to get a USB/SD to autologin to only "Sugar-desktop on a stick". from a F12-alpha live CD

Douglas McClendon dmc.sugar at filteredperception.org
Thu Sep 10 06:32:42 EDT 2009

Martin Dengler wrote:

>> I am suggesting that ease of installation to another medium is not
>> longer the primary usecase for SoaS.
>
> Caroline continues to ask for easy ways to duplicate a stick.

zyx-liveinstaller should be one way to duplicate sticks in the sense of going
from one LiveOS to many StickOS's.  liveusb-creator or livecd-iso-to-disk
should be existing methods of creating duplicate LiveUSBs.

>> The primary use case is now running Sugar and the underlying OS as
>> natively as possible on the removable solid state media.  The primary
>> goals are now reliability and speed.
>
> What does "as natively as possible" mean?

I'm guessing it means running a ext3/4/ubi/btrfs filesystem as the rootfs on a
partition of the stick, instead of the LiveUSB form of an ext4 as rootfs
mounted from an image file in a squashed-fs image file, residing on a vfat or
other filesystem on a partition of the stick, possibly with a readwrite
devicemapper overlay which could reside on the same partition on the stick, or
a different partition.

-dmc