[Sugar-devel] Hack to get a USB/SD to autologin to only "Sugar-desktop on a stick". from a F12-alpha live CD

Thomas C Gilliard satellit at bendbroadband.com
Tue Sep 8 19:09:56 EDT 2009

Sebastian:

I used the F12-alpha-i686-KDE-live CD to install to a 4GB SD

/dev/sd(x)1     /boot     ext2 200 MiB with boot flag
/dev/sd(x)2    /             ext4 3.5 GiB
(see attached screenshot)

then I did the following commands in terminal:

yum install @sugar-desktop
yum upgrade @sugar-desktop
yum upgrade metacity (want XXXXX.9)

I then logged in to sugar at the KDE switcher screen
entered name and color
opened sugar terminal

yum remove @kde-desktop
yum install @sugar-desktop (to reinstall needed files)

yum install gedit
(after gedit is installed:)
gedit /etc/gdm/gdm.schemas

    * change: (to true and add sugar)

 --snip--
<key>daemon/AutomaticLoginEnable</key>
<signature>b</signature>
<default>true</default>
</schema>
<schema>
<key>daemon/AutomaticLogin</key>
<signature>s</signature>
<default>sugar</default>
</schema>
 --snip--

exit root
rm -rf ~/.sugar
su -
pswd:xxx
shutdown -h now

On reboot you have a sugar only 11.91 0.85.3 Sugar USB/SD
which is ready to have a student enter name and color and go....

Only problem is that sugar-browse will not start yet.

***Can you make a live CD like this which only installs Sugar-desktop?**

This would be nice as it is a file system seems to be installed from the
live fs

Thus we could use the live CD for booting and then install it to a USB
if we wanted to... : )

Cordially

Tom Gillard