[Sugar-devel] [Csnd] Re: Re: Re: Re: csound on Fedora 11 and rawhide

Art Hunkins abhunkin at uncg.edu
Tue Sep 8 18:05:41 EDT 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Peter Robinson" <pbrobinson at gmail.com>
To: "Art Hunkins" <abhunkin at uncg.edu>
Cc: <csound at lists.bath.ac.uk>; <sugar-devel at lists.sugarlabs.org>
Sent: Tuesday, September 08, 2009 5:38 PM
Subject: Re: [Csnd] Re: Re: Re: Re: csound on Fedora 11 and rawhide

>> My remaining problem is MIDI input. Here are my <CsOptions>:
>> -odac -+rtaudio=alsa -+rtmidi=alsa -M hw:1,0 -m0d --expression-opt -b128
>> -B2048 -+raw_controller_mode=1
>> (It seems that *both* -+rtaudio=alsa and -+rtmidi=alsa are required
>> here.)
>
>> No sound, and the log shows real confusion on the MIDI front. Here is the
>> relevent portion:
>> ALSA lib rawmidi_hw.c:233:(snd_rawmidi_hw_open) open /dev/snd/midiC1D0
>> failed: No such file or directory
>>
>> ALSA: error opening MIDI input device
>>
>> *** error opening MIDI in device: -1 (Unknown MIDI error)
>>
>> Seems like there is something missing for alsa MIDI.
>
> Does the sound card midi require sound fonts or samples to be loaded,
> or even support midi? I think a lot of the newer cheap mother board
> sound cards like the Intel HDA audio don't even support it. Can you
> get it working using one of the other midi packages? There's a list in
> Fedora here
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/SIGs/AudioCreation#Packages_Accepted_into_Fedora

MIDI is essential to realtime Csound.

Portmidi has long been the MIDI standard in Csound. I note it's on the list
you cite.

Any reason it can't be used?

OTOH, alsa was used (on the XO-1) for rtmidi. Can't it continue?

(My activities are meant both for the XO-1 and SoaS; so as much
consistency/continuity as possible would be helpful to me. [The XO-1 used
alsa for both audio and midi.] Otherwise, I think separate versions will be
required, unfortunately.)

Art Hunkins