[Sugar-devel] directly browsing compressed content in the datastore

S Page skierpage at gmail.com
Tue Sep 8 00:03:28 EDT 2009

On Mon, Sep 7, 2009 at 7:53 PM, Benjamin M.
Schwartz<bmschwar at fas.harvard.edu> wrote:
> Lucian experimented with jar: for browsing
> offline webpages, but ultimately rejected it after determining that
> webpages using javascript would not function properly.

I haven't noticed any JavaScript problems.  Take e.g. ICDL Children's
Digital Library from http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Collections.  If I
download but don't unpack it,
  jar:file:///home/olpc/.sugar/default/datastore/store/LONG_UUID!/ICDL/index.en.html
works, and if I navigate to a picture book within the .xol the
JavaScript for image preview and 1-page/2-page works.  I don't think
I've disabled any JavaScript security options in Browse's
about:config.

The file ICDL/index.html fails, but that's because it hardcodes a
refresh to file:///home/olpc/Library/icdl/index.en.html , not because
of any JavaScript.  So long as paths in links are relative things
work.

>  Instead, his
> modified browse just decompresses the archive and uses file://.  This
> works, but loses the significant efficiency advantages of jar:.

Where is this modified Browse, is it part of some activity?

> A metadata key could also be used.
That sounds like the do_not_uncompress=true line in .info that I
envision.  Bundles would claim they don't need decompressing,
otherwise everything would work as it does now.

I appreciate your interest.
--
=S Page