[Sugar-devel] Memorize create icon

Eben Eliason eben at laptop.org
Fri Sep 4 16:43:22 EDT 2009

On Fri, Sep 4, 2009 at 3:27 PM, Caroline Meeks<caroline at meekshome.com> wrote:
> On my wish list is the ability to combine tiles from different students.  So
> each student could do a couple of States then you could play a game with all
> the states by sharing tiles from the whole class.

That would be pretty awesome. It might be (relatively) easy to allow
collaborative creation of tiles, with each child's display showing
their own "creator" screen, but a shared collection of tiles. Whether
or not that would be clear enough to be usable is another question. I
suppose the tiles would/could be colored according to their creator
while in create mode, which would certainly help.

> Another issue is what to do about identical answers. For instance you make a
> math game. 2+2 = 4 and 1+3 =4 but right now if you click on the wrong 4 I
> don't think it matches.

This problem is fairly easy to solve technically, but actually rather
advanced to expose to kids in the creation UI. It requires identifying
equivalence classes  of pairs (one equivalence class, as per your
example, would contain both (2+2, 4) and (1+3, 4)). The pairs in these
equivalence classes many or may not be ordered, which would be another
complex choice to require of the user. That is, 1+3 = 2+2, but it is
likely the intent of the creator to always match an expression to a
value. An equivalence class defined having pairs (2+2, 4) and (4, 1+3)
is "correct" mathematically, but would still yield unexpected matches
in play.

Alternatively, the items in the equivalence class could be treated
individually instead of in pairs, eg. (2+2, 1+3, 4, 4), in which case
any item in the class can be matched to any other. This, again, may
not actually be desired.

Eben