[Sugar-devel] Request Feature Freeze Exception for ticket #916 to allow sugar on non-xo hardware to register with a schoolserver

Bill Bogstad bogstad at pobox.com
Fri Sep 4 09:59:12 EDT 2009

On Fri, Sep 4, 2009 at 4:16 AM, Tomeu Vizoso<tomeu at sugarlabs.org> wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 30, 2009 at 16:36, Tomeu Vizoso<tomeu at sugarlabs.org> wrote:
>> On Fri, Aug 28, 2009 at 13:23, Hamilton Chua<hamilton.chua at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I would like to kindly request for an exception to the feature freeze
>>> currently in place to allow the inclusion of a patch that will enable sugar
>>> on non-xo hardware to register with a schoolserver.
>>>
>>> The relevant ticket with details is at
>>> http://dev.sugarlabs.org/ticket/916
>>>
>>> The patch is "register-non-xo-with-xs.patch" which can be downloaded
>>> directly from
>>> http://dev.sugarlabs.org/attachment/ticket/916/register-non-xo-with-xs.patch
>>
>> The patch has a small impact on the codebase and the feature has been
>> requested by users. So +1 from me.

If my vote counts, I'll +1 as well.  In the XO case, it should work
the same as before.  In the non-XO, it tries to do something useful
rather then nothing.

However, I have some concerns/questions:

1.  In the non-XO case, why do you replace the files which contain
previously generated uuid/sn/backup_url rather then using them as is?

2. The XO always uses a static "schoolserver" URL to register while a
non-XO will use it's jabber server instead.  For minimum impact on
current XO usage, I understand this.  Going forward, I think this
inconsistent behavior will be a problem.  I believe there are already
deployments using both XO's and SoaS based systems.  At a minimum, I
would suggest creating a bug ticket for this inconsistency so it can
be dealt with correctly in a later release.

Bill Bogstad