[Sugar-devel] Friends view UI affordances?

Christoph Derndorfer christoph.derndorfer at gmail.com
Fri Sep 4 01:59:01 EDT 2009

On Thu, Sep 3, 2009 at 7:22 PM, Eben Eliason <eben at laptop.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 2, 2009 at 10:01 PM, Caroline Meeks<solutiongrove at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > My vision is that we would create Moodle Classes for all the various
> > groupings that students have throughout the day.
> > Then maybe the Neighborhood view shows only people who share a group with
> > you, or maybe those people get preference if the Neighborhood gets too
> > crowded.
>
> I think giving preference to people one knows/interacts with is a
> logical approach.
>
> > On the Friends view it might be useful to pick just one of these groups.
> So
> > if I'm in Reading Group A right now I could choose Reading Group A in a
> drop
> > down in the friends view and it would show only people in my reading
> group.
> >  Later I am in Mr. J's Afterschool club and I pick that so I can work
> with
> > them.  After that I'm in homework time and I want to work on my Reading
> > Group, I can use this to easily see if anyone else from my Reading Group
> is
> > around to work on the homework assignment with.
>
> +1. This has been our intent for the groups view all along, and the
> lack of groups (naturally) has left it mostly useless. I think we
> should retain the ability to make friends, who should also appear in
> the view (and give it some utility until the rest is built), but the
> ability to filter the view to see and interact with specific groups of
> individuals is key to the collaborative experience.
>
> We had an ambitious view of what groups should be in the absence of a
> server, before Moodle was investigated. Perhaps we can start with a
> moodle approach and merge/sync that with a server-less approach later.
> Or perhaps the server-less "ideal" isn't actually needed, and Moodle
> is the appropriate means of introducing this much desired feature.

Mmm, seeing that many deployment schools (a) don't seem to have a school
server or (b) might have a school server but one that's not in use (due to
config issues, power supply issues, etc.) I'm not convinced that making
Moodle a hard requirement for that kind of functionality is a good idea. If
there's a school server / Moodle installation then let's use it by all means
but I do believe that we must try to offer a reasonable solution to places
without that kind of infrastructure.

Christoph
--
Christoph Derndorfer