[Sugar-devel] F11 for XO1 - Fonts

Art Hunkins abhunkin at uncg.edu
Wed Sep 2 17:27:46 EDT 2009

Thanks for the feedback, Bert.

Yes, the 5:4 ratio is actually what I was working with (unknowingly) on my
desktop. (I also discovered that what SoaS works with is the highest
resolution of which the monitor is capable (even if it was set to another
resolution by, for example, Windows).

I'd forgotten about the option of portrait mode for the XO and Classmate.
I've experimented a lot in this mode (with my XO)since, and have decided not
to work with it.

Reasons:
1) SoaS does not support it, at least currently and on the XO. Is this
intentional, or is this support a possibility for the future - perhaps with
"F11 for XO1"?
2) Few monitors have this capability. BTW, does SoaS support portrait mode
on the Intel Classmate 2?
3) There is a bug in the way the XO or Sugar handles font sizes during 180-
and 270-degree rotations (90 degrees works as expected). As you recall, I
query to get the height and width (in "pixels") and multiply the width by a
factor to get an appropriate font size. At each rotation, the correct height
and width values are displayed, but the actual font sizes for 180- and
270-degrees are reversed. Has anyone else run into this? Am I right in
noting this as a bug? (Other, standard activities don't seem to have any
such problems, but maybe they don't attempt what I'm attempting.)
4) I'm not aware that most other activities even try to deal with the
various rotations. Are there any? And does anyone have a feeling for when a
student might be inclined to change orientation - other than perhaps to read
an ebook?
5) Fooling with font size on the XO under SoaS (Strawberry) works
differently than on non-XO's. Specifically, a SoaS screen specifying the
same font size as the native XO does by default, allows for two fewer lines
per screen. Obviously, the line spacing is different.

Art Hunkins