[Sugar-devel] What operating system should I put on the donated computers for SoaS at the GPA

Bill Bogstad bogstad at pobox.com
Wed Sep 2 00:32:06 EDT 2009

On Tue, Sep 1, 2009 at 11:59 PM, Pilar Saenz<mapisaro at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Caroline
>
> Actually, we install sugar on fedora 11 and customized it to use sugar
> session and to have the same soas Bootloader. We has testes this
> process on several kind of desktop and on classmate 2.
>
> Rafael Ortiz has write some notes about the process, all in spanish,
>
> http://co.sugarlabs.org/go/Sugar_con_fedora11_sobre_un_desktop

My Spanish is lousy, but it looks to me like you:

1. Install Fedora 11 with it's standard Sugar packages
2. Add some XO inspired boot animations
3. Setup GDM to automatically login a single local user
4. Install a local activity bundle

The result would appear to be a machine which is dedicated for use as
a Sugar machine for a single default user.  The journal
will be on the local hard drive.   People who want to switch from
machine to machine will have to copy things from the
journal to some portable media (maybe USB stick).

Is that a fair summary?

Bill Bogstad