[Sugar-devel] [Karma] reviewing quadrilaterals code

Bryan Berry bryan at olenepal.org
Thu Oct 22 20:06:23 EDT 2009

roxan, here are some remarks that I think would be helpful. I would be
happy to go over this mail on irc w/ u.

For all the stuff I have remarked here I have pushed changes to
git.sugarlabs.org

===Comments on <body> in index.html and general file-naming ====

I highly recommend u set the <!DOCTYPE html> this sets the doctype to
html5. Without it, the browser likely won't recommend html5 elements
properly or consistently

Why do u link in both jquery.js and ../../js/jquery-1.3.2.min.js ?

<script src="../../js/jquery-1.3.2.min.js" type="text/javascript">

You named the css file activity.css, can we change this to lesson.css?
I think it would make the naming more consistent and preserve the
distinction between Karma lessons and Karma activities. A karma lesson
is a single instructional unit and a karma activity contains multiple
lessons, just like our E-Paath bundles do now.

There is also a quadrilaterals.css file linked in. Why do u need
activity.css and quadrilaterals.css?

You have added in the jquery UI library <script
src="../../js/jquery.ui.all.js" type="text/javascript">
but it doesn't exist at that path.

It also appears that u don't use any of the Karma api for drawing. Is
that because documentation is lacking?

===Layout===

You want to split out the grid on the right-handside of the bg.png into
a separate image and embed it into the html. That way u can position it
independently.

I don't recommend using absolute positioning for the buttons. You do
need it for the left and right buttons because u have to position them
relative to the grid image which is embedded in the background. If you
split that grid out and directly place it in the layout, you can
position the left and right buttons relative to it.

--
Bryan W. Berry
Senior Engineer