[Sugar-devel] Sugarizing an application

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Wed Oct 21 15:55:32 EDT 2009

On Wed, Oct 21, 2009 at 10:41:09AM -0200, Daniel Castelo wrote:
> Sorry, just a distraction.
> Is the image that we use in Uruguay, and doesn't have the root access
> available.

Not sure what you mean, but I presume root access is not given to
children, but that you have root access for installing components.

> Network manager supports connections with a modem 3g?

As Tomeu says, current versions do.

pppd should already be present on your image, or if not it can be
installed from repositories.  pppd also can be configured to pass the
privilege boundary ... but the configuration must be done as root.

http://quozl.linux.org.au/bp3-usb/ is some of my early work with 3G
modems ... and you can see from there how to configure pppd in the
absence of Network Manager.

http://quozl.linux.org.au/bp3-usb/xo.phtml shows an early test with root
access available.

pppd provides several ways to obtain a password ... command line,
secrets file, and a password prompt plugin.

So it should be possible on your Fedora 9 based image to configure pppd
by hand for variable username and password, obtained from a file
writable by normal user.  You may need a few lines of shell script.

Consider what data elements are needed to establish connection:

1.  number to dial, usually *99#,

2.  username to provide, some providers use a generic username and
identify the service charging using the modem serial number,

3.  password to provide.

You might also review my work for the Eee PC, which came about before
Network Manager had this ability:

http://quozl.linux.org.au/bp3-usb/eee.phtml

In this particular package, connection is automatically initiated when
the modem is inserted.

The source code is at
http://quozl.linux.org.au/darcs/eee-bpw/

--