[Sugar-devel] Design mockup of a different activity launcher

Bruno Coudoin bruno.coudoin at free.fr
Sun Oct 18 09:11:47 EDT 2009

Le dimanche 18 octobre 2009 à 17:23 +1300, Tim McNamara a écrit :
> My experience with the GCompris applications in SoaS is that all of
> the controls are horribly rendered. It comes across as unprofessional,
> especially when introducing Sugar to teachers & parents.

Hi,

For information, this problem in GCompris is in most part due to the
fact that we use gnomecanvas and that it does not perform anti aliasing
while rescaling images.

The GCompris branch 8.5 which is in beta right now uses the goocanvas
which provides a much better looking images when rescaled up.

An option I am thinking of is porting GCompris to 1024x768 resolution
instead of our native 800x600 which is almost no more used. By the way
with the goocanvas based version we can now downscale GCompris to run it
in smaller resolution, you can even resize the windows dynamically but
yes, Sugar doesn't need of that.

Concerning SVG, in moving to goocanvas I also use SVG much more. For
example our skin is now in a single SVG file that I manipulate at run
time by using SVG elements IDs.

If someone is willing to make a test of our 8.5 branch (named
gcomprixogoo in gnome's git) on Sugar, this would definitely help.

--
Bruno Coudoin
http://gcompris.net  Free educational software for kids