[Sugar-devel] Design mockup of a different activity launcher

Wade Brainerd wadetb at gmail.com
Sun Oct 18 08:05:31 EDT 2009

On Sat, Oct 17, 2009 at 11:18 PM, Paul Fox <pgf at laptop.org> wrote:
> i agree with others that the new proposal isn't nearly as nice,
> or as much fun, as the current pulsing icon (though i think other
> aspects, like the close button, are good).  i think that avi is
> spot on when he says:

Ok, seems like there are opinions in both directions - big surprise :)

I for one was a bit offended when the pulsing icon appeared.
Activities were taking 30 seconds to launch on XO and it seemed wrong
to blow a bunch of CPU time on animation when the poor machine was
obviously overtaxed!

But, I guess the lesson is "Bling given, cannot be taken away", which
makes sense.

The close button is already posted as a separate patch:
http://dev.sugarlabs.org/ticket/1447   (That's why I was in the code)

I'm going to shelve the dots for now, but if someone from design wants
to take it over and produce an official spec I'd be happy to implement
that.

Best,
Wade

PS- Eben, I didn't realize it, but I think I was actually arguing
against the progress bar!  Never really liked those things; always
halting at weird places, and never accurate.