[Sugar-devel] Zero-calorie bundles?

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Thu Oct 15 13:18:12 EDT 2009

On Thu, Oct 15, 2009 at 6:57 PM, Bernie Innocenti <bernie at codewiz.org> wrote:
> Honestly? I think the most interesting feature of Zero Install is that
> it has an active development community working to solve the same hard
> problems that we are facing with our XO bundles.

Ok - that's good. I am familiar with the limitations we are hitting
with rpm and dpkg. What I truly wonder about is things like
'autopackage' and klik.

See also the 'see also' section in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zero_Install

>>  - What pitfalls will our individual end users and deployment teams
>> face with it?
>
> I'm not sure how to answer this question, yet.

A while ago there was some serious discussion of the issues with these
'non-OS' pkg managers. Here is "a" tip of the iceberg -
http://www.licquia.org/archives/2006/03/11/autopackage-goes-insane/

The discussion was heated, and sprawled across blogs. Good points were
made. Before taking on something like z-i... it'd be worth
understanding the good, bad and ugly and how it applies to us...

> Getting the Zero Install folks involved may bring in fresh expertise

They'll know about z-i, not about the needs of Sugar or its users...
hence the perspective I am mentioning.

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com
 - ask interesting questions