[Sugar-devel] RFC: Kill the delayed menus for good

Daniel Drake dsd at laptop.org
Wed Oct 14 23:13:12 EDT 2009

2009/10/13 Bernie Innocenti <bernie at codewiz.org>:
> Hello,
>
> Michael just passed by the Acetarium and, since the dinner was late, we
> found the time to test and review his latest prototype^W patch.
>
> I'm loving how the menus suddenly are now snappy and responsive.

I haven't tried it, and your mail also lacks an explicit explanation
of what your patch actually does, but based on the hints you have
provided, :

It makes all menus that currently have a delay appear instantly?

I don't like the idea, as I think that the delay has influenced
Sugar's UI design quite heavily.

For example, a user is on the home screen with ring view enabled, and
the mouse cursor is on the left side of the screen. The user wants to
shut down the XO. He moves the cursor towards the XO figure in the
middle of the screen, but while doing so passes over an activity icon
in the ring. The menu immediately appears, completely obscuring the XO
figure that he was going to click on.

Daniel