[Sugar-devel] Fwd: Mentor request for PyDebug Activity

Benjamin M. Schwartz bmschwar at fas.harvard.edu
Wed Oct 14 22:34:40 EDT 2009

> From: George Hunt <georgejhunt at gmail.com>

I'm very excited to hear about this project, and I hope you'll keep us
updated with your progress.  Anything that makes Sugar a better
"self-hosting" development environment is tremendously valuable for us.

> At this point I'm debating whether to substitute gedit for the functionality
> of abiword.

IMHO, your best option is to use gtksourceview [1].  This is the GTK
source code editing widget that is used by gedit.  gtksourceview provides
syntax highlighting, line numbers, and undo/redo functionality.  You can
see it in use in Sugar in the Pippy source code [2].  Unlike gedit,
gtksourceview is guaranteed to be present in any Sugar installation.

Good luck!

--Ben

[1] http://projects.gnome.org/gtksourceview/
[2]