[Sugar-devel] RFC: Kill the delayed menus for good

Michael Stone michael at laptop.org
Wed Oct 14 19:42:54 EDT 2009

Simon wrote:

> On 10/13/2009 04:36 AM, Bernie Innocenti wrote:
>  I'm loving how the menus suddenly are now snappy and responsive.
>
>  From: Michael Stone ...
>  Subject: Make various palette animations happen more quickly.
>
> Can you describe what the patch will change from the user point of
> view?

Of course I can. In fact, I believe that Bernie and I already did, in
the lines of your message that I quoted above. Do you actually find
these lines to be obscure?

(I inquire most particularly because I'm nearly certain that you could
have learned the user-visible effect of the patch more quickly and
more easily by trying out the change yourself than by asking. Maybe you
had a more complex goal in mind than simply learning the nature of the
user-visible change which justifies the additional delay and round-trips
that your request incurs?)

> Is this to get rid of the delayed build up of palettes when hovering
> over icons?

Yes, this is the purpose of setting the length of the build-up animation
to be 0.0 seconds.

> The delay is on purpose.

Of course it is. Unfortunately, that does not make it good.

Now, after trying out the patched version vs. the unpatched version, do
you actually find that you prefer the current behavior?

Kind regards,

Michael