[Sugar-devel] [IAEP] Activity version compatibility

Gary C Martin gary at garycmartin.com
Tue Oct 13 18:15:31 EDT 2009

On 13 Oct 2009, at 15:29, Tomeu Vizoso wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 30, 2009 at 05:35, Wade Brainerd <wadetb at gmail.com> wrote:
>> BTW, we should still answer the question of the activity.info
>> field...
>>  Seems like there 3 options to me:
>> 1) Deprecate host_version in the activity.info spec.  Activity
>> developers
>> write code to test for presence non-BC APIs and provide fallbacks
>> (or else
>> let activities fail to launch/work).

FWIW 1) is the one I've been following (testing for available
features, providing fallbacks, accept failure to launch reports as
bugs to fix). It seems to just be a small number of current Sucrose
activities that are genuinely backwards incompatible with previous
Sugar releases.

>> 2) Keep host_version as an incrementing number, make
>> activityfactory respect
>> it, and bump the Sugar number from 1 to 2 in 0.86.1 to reflect the
>> toolbar
>> changes.
>> 3) Deprecate host_version, introduce sugar_version which is set to
>> the
>> oldest Sugar version number the activity is compatible with.

I'd not object to 3) if someone really has a bee in their bonnet ;-b
but I'd be unlikely to use it, and don't see it helping in many real
user cases (it just provides an opportunity to show a prettier error
message). Sugar platform releases seem pretty far down the scale of
reasons for most launch failures, 95% of such cases will be covered by
a smarter pulsing-window launcher for when an Activity fails (bad
distro installs, latest architecture flavour of the week, missing
platform dependancies, new changes in Sugar that break old code, un-
anticipitated security permissions, actual bugs, users hacking on and
breaking code).

Regards,
--Gary