[Sugar-devel] Namespace for 0.84 updates to Browse and Chat?

Tomeu Vizoso tomeu at sugarlabs.org
Tue Oct 13 11:06:08 EDT 2009

On Fri, Oct 2, 2009 at 13:28, Jonas Smedegaard <dr at jones.dk> wrote:
> Hi Tomeu (and others),
>
> On Wed, Sep 30, 2009 at 06:48:05PM +0100, Tomeu Vizoso wrote:
>>
>> sorry for the late reply, this is a very good question.
>>
>> I think we should move to dotted version numbers for activities in 0.88,
>> maybe interpreting a version number without a dot as 0.xx.
>>
>> For now and for your specific use case, what about preppending 0.84/0.86
>> to the activity version number?
>
> Debian supports resetting version numbers, but it may cause problems for
> other distributions if Sugarlabs start releasing new packages with _lower_
> version numbers than the older ones.
>
> As an example, are you sure that your Mozilla web interface supports
> resetting version numbers?  Do the install mechanisms in Sugar itself?

Yes, that's why I'm suggesting doing it for 0.88, so we have time to
patch whatever needs to be patched.

About newer activity versions with dotted version numbers not updating
older ones in <=0.86 because they are interpreted as older, I guess we
have three options:

- accept it as-is, activity authors that want older versions of Sugar
to update to their bundles need to also produce bundles with undotted
version numbers (messy),

- patch older versions to recognize the new scheme (won't be possible
for many/most deployments),

- start the dotted series from the last integer used: Browse-112.1,
Browse-112.2, etc (ugly).

Any better options?

Regards,

Tomeu

>  - Jonas
>
> --
> * Jonas Smedegaard - idealist & Internet-arkitekt
> * Tlf.: +45 40843136  Website: http://dr.jones.dk/
>
>  [x] quote me freely  [ ] ask before reusing  [ ] keep private

Farning