[Sugar-devel] RFC: Kill the delayed menus for good

Bernie Innocenti bernie at codewiz.org
Mon Oct 12 22:40:36 EDT 2009

El Mon, 12-10-2009 a las 22:36 -0400, Bernie Innocenti escribió:
> Hello,
>
> Michael just passed by the Acetarium and, since the dinner was late, we
> found the time to test and review his latest prototype^W patch.
>
> I'm loving how the menus suddenly are now snappy and responsive. Please,
> test it yourself and report back. If we like this change, I think we
> should go on and also kill the code that this patch makes redundant.
> (please, let's not add another configurable knob!)

BTW, Michael and I have a "small disagreement" on how a maintainer
should react to the present patch. From a purely functional PoV, this
patch is short, correct and low impact. Yeah, but... who's ever going to
clean up after it if we do not demand the cleanup to be merged
atomically with the patch that opens the need for it? Once the patch is
in, the maintainer would no longer have a stick to brandish while saying
"now eat your veggies!".

(Michael replies: "This is a flawed position because it leads to absurd
conclusions. More specifically, it actively discourages the current
contributor from submitting more patches by denying the satisfaction of
seeing their existing patch merged, delays the deferral of a correct and
believable patch that introduces behavior you yourself describe as
'desirable' and, last but not least, misses an opportunity to involve
inexperienced contributors by providing appropriate "on-ramp" bugs like
the proposed refactoring.)

 -- Bernie & Michael