[Sugar-devel] XO emulator for Linux

Walther Neuper neuper at ist.tugraz.at
Thu Oct 8 08:57:56 EDT 2009

Hi Tomeu,

thank you for your mail !

You ask:
> Can you give us some more details about what do you plan to develop
> and how do you expect it to be deployed?
Christoph Derndorfer established a project in Austria, where 25 kids of
8-9 years got XOs in 2008. And our Institute will contribute with a new
activity requested by the teacher of these kids
http://www.ist.tugraz.at/projects/isac/rp/reckonprimer.html

Last summer semester 1 student built a prototype, and there are several
students (a selection from those listening cc) who want to contribute to
this activity during this winter semester.
Time scheduled for this is not much more than 100h, thus it is too short
to build up a complicated development environment, and too short for
getting familiar with complicated things.
But we would like to have
# our repository somewhere at http://git.sugarlabs.org/projects/
# a test-driven development, having something like
   /usr/share/activities/ReckonPrimer.activity
   /usr/share/activities/ReckonPrimer.tests
# ??? presently I have no more ideas what details to mention.
Most students have Linux (Ubuntu etc) on their computers, some Windows.

Any suggestions are welcome !

Walther

PS: About deployment: our present focus is the school teaching the 25
kids mentioned. If our product will turn out interesting for others, we
would be even more motivated !

Walther Neuper                          Mailto: neuper at ist.tugraz.at
Institute for Software Technology          Tel: +43-(0)316/873-5728
University of Technology                   Fax: +43-(0)316/873-5706
Graz, Austria                             Home: www.ist.tugraz.at/neuper