[Sugar-devel] [ANNOUNCE] Sucrose 0.86 Branching - Activity versions

Gary C Martin gary at garycmartin.com
Thu Oct 1 11:44:46 EDT 2009

On 1 Oct 2009, at 15:23, Simon Schampijer wrote:

> On 10/01/2009 03:55 PM, Eben Eliason wrote:
>> On Thu, Oct 1, 2009 at 7:16 AM, Peter
>> Robinson<pbrobinson at gmail.com>  wrote:

>> This still seems pretty limiting. What if he finds he actually
>> needs 4
>> bugfix releases? Why should replace a limited system with another
>> that's just as limiting (This suggestion is kind of like going from
>> O(0) to O(3), instead of O(n) like we really need).
>>

> Just to be clear, this is just a workaround for 0.86 - as we would
> need
> some changes to support the dotted version numbers. For 0.88 we can do
> the dotted versions.

Perhaps I'm just having a 'bad hair' day ;-) But...

How do activity authors continue to support the large 0.82 (and the so
far smaller 0.84, 0.86) deployments? As an activity author my primary
focus is for existing deployments, making work backwards compatible.
i.e. what will happen when a sugar 0.82 user downloads/shares a bundle
named Labyrinth-12.0.1? I understand why this is not true for core
sugar devs, or authors who have to rely on a specific component of a
specific sugar build, but it almost seams like such Fructose
activities are perhaps the only ones that need some complex version
string matrix (like as used for the Glucose package versioning). The
rest of us can just tick on with our integer releases that support all
releases?

I guess Fructose is in need of some discussion ;-)

Regards,
--Gary