[Sugar-devel] [ANNOUNCE] Sucrose 0.86 Branching - Activity versions

Simon Schampijer simon at schampijer.de
Thu Oct 1 05:20:20 EDT 2009

Dear Maintainers,

*Branching*
After the final release of a module, a branch can be created to host
further stable development. Can, means here that it is up to the
maintainer when this happens. In other words you want to create the new
branch at latest when you start to commit things for 0.88. 0.86 will be
your stable branch where only bug fixes can be committed and unstable
development is going to the master branch.

Please use the name sucrose-0.86 for the 0.86 branch. Each module
maintainer is responsible to inform the sugar-devel at lists.sugarlabs.org
and localization at lists.laptop.org lists about the branch.

More information on how to create the branch can be found at [1].

*Activity versions*
As we use integers for activity versions (this really has to change for
0.88 with introducing minor versions), we need to cope for the famous:
stable/unstable version issue. I would say to leave at least 3 version
numbers open when doing a new unstable release. An example:

Walter has submitted TurtleArt 69 for 0.86. He reserves the numbers 70,
71, 72 for bug fix releases. When he is doing a release from the
unstable master branch (0.88 development) he is using numbers > 72.

Homework: What version number has the third unstable release from
TurtleArt? Please send a note with your answer to the sugar-mailing
list, subject="Enlarge your 0.86 Lottery winning chances". The first
three right answers will get a beer at the SugarCamp in Bolzano.

Sincerely,
    Your Release Team

[1] http://sugarlabs.org/go/DevelopmentTeam/Release#Branching