[Sugar-devel] [FEATURE] Activity as a regular Journal Object request for inclusion to 0.88

Walter Bender walter.bender at gmail.com
Mon Nov 30 19:18:47 EST 2009

On Mon, Nov 30, 2009 at 2:54 PM, Daniel Drake <dsd at laptop.org> wrote:
> 2009/11/30 Walter Bender <walter.bender at gmail.com>:
>> This isn't quite accurate. We've been adding some pre-loaded content
>> to the Journal for quite some time now,
>
> Are you sure? Or are you referring to a manual process that you do in
> certain deployments?
>
> I have yet to see a sugar installation that comes with a non-empty
> journal. And also I can't think of any non-horrible way that you'd be
> able to hook into the sugar profile creation stages to pre-provide the
> content, even if I did like the idea.

Many deployments are doing this in some fashion or another. It is
currently an ugly kludge. This proposal will presumable make it less
ugly and less kludgy, but it is undoubtedly useful.

>> and some activities (as you
>> noted, Turtle Art) have been adding content to the Journal as well.
>
> This is the only one I'm aware of, and it was a big surprise, to the
> extent that I filed bugs upstream and downstream that were confirmed
> by other people who also didn't realise this. I also got the
> impression from you that you don't feel like it is the appropriate
> place to put it, you just did it because it is the only option.

On the contrary. I don't like it because it is clumsy to implement and
manage. Again, this proposal will address that. What I don't like is
having to keep my examples in the file system and use a file browser
to retrieve them. It turns out that because they are kept separately,
people don't find them. I could implement my only browser, a la Pippy,
but as an activity developer, I would much prefer to use the Journal
and I suspect our users would prefer that as well.
> Daniel

-walter
--
Walter Bender