[Sugar-devel] [FEATURE] Activity as a regular Journal Object request for inclusion to 0.88

Aleksey Lim alsroot at member.fsf.org
Mon Nov 30 15:22:51 EST 2009

On Mon, Nov 30, 2009 at 07:58:57PM +0000, Daniel Drake wrote:
> 2009/11/30 Wade Brainerd <wadetb at gmail.com>:
> > I disagree that showing activities in the Journal, in addition to
> > activity instances and MIME objects, will cause confusion.  Many
> > activities are more like content.  Activities can be downloaded,
> > copied, modified, and deleted.  In Sugar terminology, Activities are
> > intended to be verbs while Journal objects are like proper nouns.  But
> > if an activity is a verb, the object which performs the activity can
> > still be a noun.  For example, the word "hammer" is both a noun and a
> > verb.  The noun in the Journal ("Hammer.xo") is an object which
> > enables the verb in the Home view ("Hammer Activity").  It's quite
> > simple.
>
> I agree. I find it simple too. I'd have no problem with it.
>
> The problem is when you give it to 6 year olds -- do you also expect
> them to be able to understand this?
>
> Have you followed the number of problems caused to deployments by the
> activity removal feature that was added to sugar-0.82? The children do
> this because they think they are removing work created with the
> activity.

I think it relates to "Low floor no ceiling" but we can try to solve
such issues for example by having profiles for different age ranges.

BTW declaring that "The majority of our users are 12 years old or under"
it could be useful to have a voice from teachers(even rather then
deployers) while discussing users experience invasive features(or add
new features according to teachers feedback).

--
Aleksey