[Sugar-devel] [FEATURE] Activity as a regular Journal Object request for inclusion to 0.88

Walter Bender walter.bender at gmail.com
Mon Nov 30 13:35:29 EST 2009

On Mon, Nov 30, 2009 at 7:34 AM, Daniel Drake <dsd at laptop.org> wrote:
> On Fri, 2009-11-27 at 22:16 +0000, Aleksey Lim wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> While preparing new 0.88 features, I encountered some in consistence in
>> "activities vs. activity bundles" case, so I'm going to reveal
>> "Activity as regular objects"(see [1] ml thread) feature but make it
>> less invasive in case existed user experience.
>>
>> http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Features/Activity_as_a_regular_Journal_Object
>
> I feel that this is quite a fundamental change to the Journal
> philosophy. Until now, the Journal is something that record what the
> user has done, and it only stores the work (or history) of the users
> session within the activities. In tune with this, the Journal is empty
> when you start for the same time. This would no longer be the case with
> this feature.

This isn't quite accurate. We've been adding some pre-loaded content
to the Journal for quite some time now, and some activities (as you
noted, Turtle Art) have been adding content to the Journal as well.

The current out-of-band examples mechanism is not terrific and
confuses users (at least in the case of Pippy and Turtle Art as
observed and reported from the field). A unified approach would likely
be easier rather than harder for the user to comprehend. Let's test
it.

[snip]

-walter

--