[Sugar-devel] [ANNOUNCE] GetBooks version 4

Jim Simmons nicestep at gmail.com
Mon Nov 30 10:26:30 EST 2009

Sayamindu,

I tried out your new Get Books on my XO running the latest Fedora 12
install that came out last week.  For comparison I ran the same tests
on the first version of Get Books which I got from the git clone of
Get IA Books that you made.  I ran the old one on my Sugar test
environment on Fedora 11.  To give you some idea of its age, it still
refers to itself as "Get IA Books".

The results of testing on both were very different.  The old one was
*much* better at finding books than your latest.

I tried searching for words like "burton", "twain", "mars",
"gulliver", "bible", and a few others on GB4 and got no books found
for any of them.  This was searching "Feedbooks".  When I switched to
Internet Archive I got some matches for "Twain" and I *think* I got
matches in Feedbooks for "Dickens".

On the other hand, the old GB had no trouble at all finding books for
these words in Feedbooks.

I didn't have time to do a lot of testing and there were no messages
in the Log to suggest anything.  The new GB just acted like it
couldn't find anything.

One repeatable test would be to search for "Gulliver of Mars" in
Feedbooks.  That was one of the books I found and downloaded with your
first effort, and it could not be found by your latest.

I have not had an opportunity to try your Activity under .82 yet, as
my XO has been upgraded.  I do have a Fedora 10 box which should serve
for a .82 test, and I'll try it out there when I can.

James Simmons