[Sugar-devel] Activity Versioning - Dotted Scheme

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Mon Nov 30 04:00:52 EST 2009

On 29.11.2009, at 20:50, Simon Schampijer wrote:

> Well, if an activity will work for an older release is not only
> determined by the activity version number. For example, activities that
> moved to the new toolbar design are not working for older releases <
> 0.86. I don't think we can always avoid breaking backwards compatibility.

But so far we have managed to make is at least *possible* for an activity author to have a single activity version run under all Sugar versions. This would be the first instance where the author would not have that chance.

I'm pretty sure we can find a scheme that both allows a single activity bundle to provide dotted version numbers for new Sugar, but keep working in old Sugar.

E.g., we do not have to re-use the "activity_version" field if that breaks the parsing in older versions. It could be a new field named "dotted_activity_version" or simply "version" or something else. An activity author who cared could then provide both, a decimal and a dotted activity version.

- Bert -