[Sugar-devel] some efforts that would be really useful for deployments

Sayamindu Dasgupta sayamindu at gmail.com
Fri Nov 27 04:22:35 EST 2009

On Thu, Nov 26, 2009 at 11:19 PM, Martin Langhoff
<martin.langhoff at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 25, 2009 at 5:55 PM, Sayamindu Dasgupta <sayamindu at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Maybe using a GConf key would be easier here ?
>
> Let's make that kind of stuff a conffile. When you spin a custom image
> for a deployment, you are either running a bit of shell from a
> 'kickstart' file or an init script something similar.
>
> This build or respin step happens on "build" host that is running a
> different OS. Probably linux, yes, but it may be a different distro or
> release.
>
> Gconf is too brittle for this.

Actually we are already using GConf for somewhat similar stuff. For
example, by default Sugar provides a log-out button which is disabled
via setting the right GConf key in the XO builds via a kickstart file
http://dev.laptop.org/git/projects/fedora-xo/tree/olpc-desktop.ks?h=xo-1.5#n130
and it works fine.
Of course, we can go for a plain and simple conffile based setup, but
I would be worried about it being yet another config system to
maintain :-)

Thanks,
Sayamindu

--