[Sugar-devel] GSM/CDMA Modems support (part II)

Rafael Enrique Ortiz Guerrero dirakx at gmail.com
Wed Nov 25 13:16:08 EST 2009

Hi

On Wed, Nov 25, 2009 at 1:02 PM, Martin Abente
<mabente at paraguayeduca.org> wrote:
> On Wed, 25 Nov 2009 17:13:41 +0100, Martin Langhoff
> <martin.langhoff at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, Nov 25, 2009 at 3:36 PM, Martin Abente
>> <mabente at paraguayeduca.org> wrote:
>>> As I mentioned in my last email to devel at lists.laptop.org, there is a
>>> real
>>> need for a GSM/CDMA usb modem support in our region since thats the most
>>> common/available service in rural locations.
>>
>> Hola Martin,
>>
>> question: are you planning on giving a GSM/CDMA card to each child
>> with an XO?
>
>  No, but teachers and parents has been asking us about this in every
> meeting we attended so far
>  since they only got Internet access at schools.
>
>> Or to configure the local XS to have a GSM/CDMA connection
>> that provides the "upstream" connection which is then shared by all XO
>> users that connect to the XS?
>>
>> If you want to set things up on the XS, we can probably come up with
>> scripts that get it online as soon as you plug the modem into the XS.
>> (So: unplug to disconnect).
>>

>  Thats not our case, all our school servers are working with WiMax
> connections, which it's infrastructure
>  requirements are fine for a school.
>
>  But in countries like Paraguay with a high rate of cellphone usage and
> coverage (which is an interesting phenomena,
>  considering our country reality), gsm/cdma modems are by far the most
> common and acquirable service.

This is also truth for Colombia, satellite internet is very expensive
although in some places is offered by the government,  and there are
GSM/CDMA modems with a broad use and cheaper fares and wider coverage,
although with some problems of wideness of the communication band and
re-use of the channel.