[Sugar-devel] adding 3G support to Sugar (was Re: Sugarizing an application)

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Tue Nov 24 23:30:03 EST 2009

On 23/11/2009, at 7:18 AM, Peter Robinson wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 21, 2009 at 3:44 AM, Jonas Smedegaard <dr at jones.dk> wrote:

>>> Well NetworkManager in Fedora which we already use has all that
>>> support already so we don't need to piggy back off anything as the
>>> tools we use already support all of what we require. All that needs to
>>> be done is to extend the sugar interface to add the 3G support that's
>>> already in NM.
>>
>> If you want this for _Sugar_ then please do not just rely on a specific
>> distro, but document in an INSTALL file what it is from that particular
>> distro that you rely on - so that other distros can mimic that.
>>
>> If you are not targeting Sugar but just a specific distribution of it like,
>> say, SoaS, then obviously you need not document anything.  But it would be
>> sad if you do not target Sugar globally.
>
> NetworkManager is distribution agnostic so its not targetted at
> specific distributions as NM support multiple distros undernearth.
> That's the advantage of it and one of the reasons its ued!

I've just sat through a presentation on oFono by Denis Kenzior (Intel) at OSDC, and ConnMan is their chosen network management component for raising the interface for 3G modems.  It was quite fascinating.  I'm looking forward to it.  We might want to consider it for OLPC due to the smaller footprint as compared to NetworkManager.