[Sugar-devel] Non sugar activities on ASLO

Aleksey Lim alsroot at member.fsf.org
Mon Nov 23 13:07:00 EST 2009

On Mon, Nov 23, 2009 at 05:59:44PM +0100, Tomeu Vizoso wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 23, 2009 at 17:30, Aleksey Lim <alsroot at member.fsf.org> wrote:
> > On Mon, Nov 23, 2009 at 01:23:22PM +0000, Aleksey Lim wrote:
> >> Hi all,
> >>
> >> Non sugar activities we (could)have on ASLO:
> >>
> >> ++  programs with high sugar integration(journal etc.)
> >> +   programs that start smooth in sugar environment(sugarised screen mode etc.)
> >
> > btw "sugarizing" programs only by fixing window issues and bundling
> > blobs to .xo could be also wrong way to go, better to have universal
> > method to run non-sugar programs w/o troubles with
> > non-fullsreen/dialogs/etc windows.
>
> Is there any serious problem other than the launcher not appearing in
> the home view? About the launcher issue, we could support .desktop
> files.

I've just tried to start several non-sugar applications(gnome-terminal,
gimp, ooffice) and it looks now not so bad as I thought before. If we
fix launcher related issues and maybe set gnome theme to something
non-sugar(sugar theme looks ugly for regular gnome applications) and we
can stop "sugarizing" applications just by tweaking window
sizes(tuxpaint, gcompris) and start .desktop applications and 0install
packages as is.

--
Aleksey