[Sugar-devel] Non sugar activities on ASLO

David Farning dfarning at sugarlabs.org
Mon Nov 23 13:03:24 EST 2009

On Mon, Nov 23, 2009 at 10:59 AM, Tomeu Vizoso <tomeu at sugarlabs.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 23, 2009 at 17:30, Aleksey Lim <alsroot at member.fsf.org> wrote:
>> On Mon, Nov 23, 2009 at 01:23:22PM +0000, Aleksey Lim wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> Non sugar activities we (could)have on ASLO:
>>>
>>> ++  programs with high sugar integration(journal etc.)
>>> +   programs that start smooth in sugar environment(sugarised screen mode etc.)
>>
>> btw "sugarizing" programs only by fixing window issues and bundling
>> blobs to .xo could be also wrong way to go, better to have universal
>> method to run non-sugar programs w/o troubles with
>> non-fullsreen/dialogs/etc windows.
>
> Is there any serious problem other than the launcher not appearing in
> the home view? About the launcher issue, we could support .desktop
> files.
>
> Regards,
>
> Tomeu

I have been trying to keep current active Sugar Labs developers 'out
of the way' on activities.sugarlabs.org policies.  a.sl.o is one of
the most user driven and user visible aspects of Sugar Labs.    A very
interesting recent thread has been about distributing scratch via
a.sl.o.  This has been interesting, and hopefully precedent setting,
because it has been driven by users asking for something rather than
Sugar Labs trying to provide something.

One of the key premises behind community development is participants
who see a problem which needs fixing.... and then take the time to fix
it.  In this case, Jeff has been tracking down what is necessary to
distribute scratch as an .XO bundle.  The short answer for why scratch
is not in a.sl.o is that no one has had the time, interest, and
ability to package and maintain scratch 1.4.  Maybe that person will
be Jeff or he can find someone who can work on scratch.

In the case of what goes on activities.sl.o, let's not worry about it.
 If an activity is popular (and useful), it will raise to the top of
the downloads and recommended list.  Once it is on the top of those
lists, other will step in to make it better.

david

We are always looking for new activity editors to test and review activities.