[Sugar-devel] Non sugar activities on ASLO

Aleksey Lim alsroot at member.fsf.org
Mon Nov 23 08:23:22 EST 2009

Hi all,

Non sugar activities we (could)have on ASLO:

++  programs with high sugar integration(journal etc.)
+   programs that start smooth in sugar environment(sugarised screen mode etc.)
-   programs that are just absent in GNU/Linux distributions
--  programs that present in GNU/Linux distributions

In case of '-*' programs we just not follow Occam's razor principle
moreover we are splitting education community(people should know that
there is "native" GCompris and "sugarized" GCompris). On the other side
if ASLO intended to be software repository for sugar DE.

So, what about not multiplying entities and reusing 0install for '-*'
programs(but still not sure about '--'). For example in case of OO4kids
activity we can create 0install infrastructure(and benefit other non
sugar 0install users) or reuse existed 0install package.

For sugar user, 0install "activities" will look on ASLO like other
activities, so click on "Download" button just runs sugarized 0install
GUI.

--
Aleksey