[Sugar-devel] adding 3G support to Sugar (was Re: Sugarizing an application)

Jonas Smedegaard dr at jones.dk
Sat Nov 21 06:44:31 EST 2009

On Sat, Nov 21, 2009 at 08:14:38AM +0000, Peter Robinson wrote:
>On Sat, Nov 21, 2009 at 12:10 AM, James Cameron <quozl at laptop.org> wrote:
>> I think I've seen Ubuntu handling this UI design issue by building a
>> data set of providers.  It might be possible to piggy back on some of
>> that work.
>
>Well NetworkManager in Fedora which we already use has all that
>support already so we don't need to piggy back off anything as the
>tools we use already support all of what we require. All that needs to
>be done is to extend the sugar interface to add the 3G support that's
>already in NM.

If you want this for _Sugar_ then please do not just rely on a specific
distro, but document in an INSTALL file what it is from that particular
distro that you rely on - so that other distros can mimic that.

If you are not targeting Sugar but just a specific distribution of it
like, say, SoaS, then obviously you need not document anything.  But it
would be sad if you do not target Sugar globally.

Kind regards,

  - Jonas