[Sugar-devel] Rationale behind the JSON -> CJSON switch in Sugar codebase?

Tomeu Vizoso tomeu at sugarlabs.org
Fri Nov 20 03:32:59 EST 2009

On Fri, Nov 20, 2009 at 02:34, James Cameron <quozl at laptop.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 19, 2009 at 03:11:07PM +0100, Tomeu Vizoso wrote:
>> 2009/11/13 Jonas Smedegaard <dr at jones.dk>:
>> > Generally, I recommend Sugarlabs to document clearly in source of
>> > the various components (e.g. in an INSTALL file) which versions of
>> > Python the code is expected to work against, and which version has
>> > been extensively tested.
>>
>> We have http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/0.86/Platform_Components for
>> that, maybe we can point to that page in the INSTALL files of all
>> Sugar modules?
>
> I'm releaser of pptp and pptpd, and if I referred to Wiki pages for
> build instructions, dependencies or test results external to my source
> repository or tarball, I'm sure I'd get a few raised eyebrows or
> complaints.
>
> Is there a reason why you don't want to have these dependencies or known
> test results in the source?  If they are not available at the time of
> release, that's a good reason.  In which case saying that in INSTALL is
> also a good idea.

No, I would like to do anything that help packagers do their job. It's
just that the Sugar module maintainers are generally people who have
accumulated too many functions and making them keep those files
updated with the wiki just increases the burden on them.

But of course, anyone can open tickets with patches, as a reminder and
as a way of facilitate their work.

Regards,

Tomeu

Farning