[Sugar-devel] XO 1.5 with USB webcam

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Mon Nov 16 12:37:41 EST 2009

On Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 4:27 PM, Andrés Nacelle
<anacelle at plan.ceibal.edu.uy> wrote:
> webcam eurocase EUCC760, lsusb gives: ID 0c45:612a Microdia PC Camera (SN9C325)

Is the webcam UVC? Is it known to work under other recent linuxes,
specially recent Fedoras? If so, with which driver?

On the XO, what does dmesg say right after you've plugged it in?

The general state of the usb webcam is kind of horrible. Cameras are
full of strange quirks and misbehaviours that are hard for any driver
to keep in sync with.

The best I can recommend is to look for a UVC-compliant camera... that
is known to work with Linux's UVC driver. There are some UVC cameras
that don't work, mainly due to odd UVC quirks.

In general, I keep a Fedora 9 and a Fedora 11 system around. When I
see something odd like that on an XO, I test it on the vanilla Fedora.
Helps a lot to narrow down quickly on whether it's an OLPC specific
issue or a base OS issue.

hth,

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com
 - ask interesting questions