[Sugar-devel] Discrepancy regarding an Activity

Daniel Drake dsd at laptop.org
Sun Nov 15 12:07:34 EST 2009

2009/11/15 Daniel Drake <dsd at laptop.org>:
> 2009/11/15 Mohit Taneja <mohitgenii at gmail.com>:
>> Well it seems to be an unmaintained fake release of the original FoodForce2
>> game. I guess only the copyrights have been changed. In fact, I went through
>> the their homepage and saw that this organization is into doing such things
>> only, they copy source code of open source activities, do minor tweaks and
>> then upload it by their own credits.
>
> Well they have certainly contributed some new activities to Sugar
> which I assume are their own, but this is indeed a bit odd. Is this
> really the first you've heard of this fork?

And to confuse matters more.. surely you knew of Manusheel's
involvement (or at least his interest) in your project well before the
supposed fork date of June 23 -- I have a personal email in my inbox
from May where Manusheel was persuading deployments to try out the new
activity and provide feedback (I was in Paraguay at the time). He
writes it as if you are all a team, seeta included, and suggests that
it was even listed as a project on the SEETA website at that time. And
see his name on
http://blog.laptop.org/2009/05/08/food-force-2-makes-waves/

Anyway, it seems like the easiest thing to do here would be to give
commit access to Manusheel's team to the original repository. It looks
like they have just made the first change in their forked version,
adding a spanish translation, and I imagine that's not a contribution
you would turn down.

Manusheel, in the open source world, when forking a project the common
etiquette is to rename it to something substantially different.  But
in this case I suggest you simply dissolve the fork and attempt to
work together, in the same place. Less work for everyone.

Daniel