[Sugar-devel] Python version (was: Re: Rationale behind the JSON -> CJSON switch in Sugar codebase?)

Jonas Smedegaard dr at jones.dk
Fri Nov 13 10:05:11 EST 2009

On Fri, Nov 13, 2009 at 02:57:56PM +0100, Sascha Silbe wrote:
>On Fri, Nov 13, 2009 at 02:43:14PM +0100, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
>
>>Currently I package Sugar packages with the assumption that they
>>all  work with Python 2.5 and newer
>That's a good bet. IIRC we have assumed Python 2.5 to be the baseline
>in the past (I remember discussing it with Tomeu on IRC). Python 2.6
>cannot be required as I am testing on Debian. :D
>
>But yes, we should add proper dependency documentation to the source
>tarballs.

I _currently_ make that assumption.

In the past - I do not recall if that includes Lenny release or not - I
assumed Python 2.4 and newer, and when that assumption failed I patched
the code, as Debian at the time was using Python 2.4 by default and too
few modules was (and, I believe, still isn't) packaged multiflavored.

(and yes, I am guilty of neglecting to pass those patches upstream -
don't know if it was Sascha or someone else pushing some of the patches,
but the rest did not make it outside of Debian while there might still
be interest of it)

  - Jonas