[Sugar-devel] seeking feedback on sketch of a new color selector

Eben Eliason eben.eliason at gmail.com
Wed Nov 11 17:03:28 EST 2009

Very nice! The ability to go backward is a huge improvement.

I have a few thoughts on the layout. I'd suggest putting the arrows on
the outside, with the smaller (presumably "cell size") XOs just to the
left and right of the large one. I'd also suggest making the arrow
buttons smaller, so they don't overpower the interface (right now they
actually appear larger than cell size; I think even showing them at
the size they appear in the Journal, or in menus, might suffice).

I'm glad to see that clicking the arrows or the small XOs works!

Eben

On Wed, Nov 11, 2009 at 4:39 PM, Gary C Martin <gary at garycmartin.com> wrote:
> Hi Walter,
>
> On 11 Nov 2009, at 17:42, Walter Bender wrote:
>
>> I just posted another version (no undo) and I think more clarity as to
>> what is going on... You can click the < > buttons or the small XOs.
>
> Yes, fab, that's much clearer, even for a static view.
>
> Here's a quick mockup at keeping the large buddy icon central so it matches
> the usual zoom presentation of your buddy icon:
>

> Regards,
> --Gary
>
>> -walter
>>
>> On Wed, Nov 11, 2009 at 12:31 PM, Gary C Martin <gary at garycmartin.com>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Walter,

>>> I needed to watch through a number of times before I could work out the
>>> logic for the colours of the two smaller buddy icons. First couple of
>>> times
>>> through I thought one was a swapped fill/stroke, and the other was a
>>> 'light'
>>> version, then third time through I decided they must all just be random,
>>> finally I twigged that it was a scrolling history moving from right to
>>> left
>>> (small <-- big <-- small).
>>>
>>> Quick thoughts:
>>>
>>> - What you have now would be visually understandable after a single click
>>> if
>>> you added a brief transition animation so that the icons scroll
>>> left/right
>>> and resize (like a carousel).
>>>
>>> - Not convinced you need the undo icon if you can add the transition
>>> animation, it feels slightly odd at the moment that the undo is right
>>> next
>>> to the yet too be seen new colour combination (perhaps it could go above
>>> or
>>> below the centre icon if it really needs to stay in the design).
>>>
>>> - The alternative is to have N small buddy icons around the central large
>>> icon, where the small icons are a close variation of the central large
>>> icon
>>> colours. Clicking the centre icon picks a completely new random base set